Taking advantage of this situation, the Supreme Command (SHAPE) tightens strategic reserves and created a defense in depth in the Moscow and Leningrad areas. Reserve Front was set up, headed by General of the Army GK Zhukov . In order to strengthen the defense capability of the Crimea and the Azov Sea, the State Defense Committee (GKO) July 20, 1941 decided to set up the Black Sea Fleet of the Azov Flotilla (APS), which was appointed commander of the Novorossiisk naval base commander of the Black Sea Fleet captain Aleksandrov , the military commissar - brigade Commissar AD Roshchin. Its formation began in Kerch. Part of the flotilla passed the Black Sea Fleet, on the basis of its made mobilized ships of the Azov-Black Sea Shipping Company. In the Kerch shipyard they were armed and refurbished. The composition of the fleet originally entered: gunboats division "Don", "Rion" and icebreaker number 4, which is still in the civil war was a part of the Azov flotilla under the title "The banner of socialism"; Division patrol ships, minesweepers "Voikov", "Mariupol", "periwinkle", "Sevastopol" and "Navigator"; Division patrol boats and boats, minesweepers "Amur", "Adler", "Tuapse", "Typhoon", "Poti", "Hurricane", "Flurry", "Cyclone" and the 87th Fighter separate air squadron of IL-9 aircraft 15.